Humanity & Inclusion
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict, and disaster. Working alongside people with disabilities and those living in situations of extreme vulnerability, teams act to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
According to the Convention on the Rights of Person’s with Disabilities, ratified by 164 countries worldwide, inclusive education is a human right and must be guaranteed for all children with disabilities. HI has been promoting education for children with disabilities since 1998. Currently, HI helps 144,00 children attend school through more than 50 inclusive education projects in 27 countries across Latin America, West, Central, North and East Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. To promote the education of children with disabilities, HI teams:
- Encourage education of children with disabilities in mainstream schools.
- Provide individualized support and help to families.
- Develop learning techniques and inclusive methods adapted to children with disabilities.
- Adapt teaching and learning materials, by developing recommendations for assistive devices, and accessibility of schools.
- Support organizations of people with disabilities to defend the right to inclusive education for all children with disabilities.
- Provide technical assistance to develop inclusive education policies at the national level.
To learn more about their work, please visit: hi.org.